I'm typing and licking my keyboard at the same time. That's because I'm on the computer and eating a PB&J at the same time. I like really sloppy PB&Js, so I'm licking up post-ooze jam. Post-ooze jam--I'm not sure why I like the sound of that so much.
Well just because I'm eating PB&J doesn't mean I've given up on my lofty endeavor. I'm still cooking. Actually, I've missed the cut-off for a meal plan, so I've made my bed, now I'll have to sleep--or eat-- in it. I should also acquire a nightstand with a drawer that I can keep a pastrami sandwich in.
So I have been cooking, I just haven't been writing. It's the start of the semester, we all gotsa ton of ish going on, and when I'm not busy I'm lazy, lethargic and HUNGRY. The only reason I'm writing this now is because it's the start of the weekend, so I don't feel like doing any real work and because I leave the tab up so every day I go without posting (this is a "food blog" and I haven't posted any food yet) I feel guilty. So, I figured I should post something even though I'm the least bit inspired to do so.
---~Holy PHO it's Valentine's Day! How one forgets. I tried to solicit my Valentines "services" via social networks, but to no avail. Alas, I am sans Valentine this year. The reason I'm slightly bummed by this is because I was going to use it as an excuse to go all out on preparing a dinner--I usually go all out with a nice dinner and other hopelessly romantic BULL, but I thought I'd change it up and keep the grub and in-house operation. Maybe I'll make something dope for myself and save half the cash I would have left in the supermarket. That's all I have to say on the subject of V-Day because I'm rather indifferent. ~---
This post is feeling so forced--my apologies. Overwhelming apathy.
Anyway, I'll just post some of my handiwork. I think I'm improving. I still spend a lot of time on foodgawker and other sites like it, looking at recipes and all that, but I'm less strict about following them. At the start I was a scientist, carefully measuring each and every ingredient. Now I make substitutions, haphazardly eye measurements and more or less hope for the best. It's more fun, less stressful and you get to make things your own. I'm definitely not completely there yet--I still find myself scrolling through my iPad with a greasy finger because I forgot how much cumin I was supposed to use. I'm just worried about my food coming out tasting like moldy toe nails because I was careless and wasting an hour of study time. Well, without further ado, he's a dinner I made a couple of nights ago without strictly adhering to a recipe. I'd heard about a combination of foods that I thought sounded interesting, so I bought said ingredients and cooked em up. So the measurements in the recipe that follows are not exact--include more or less of the ish that you like more or less. I'm all about preferential treatment.
Ingredients:
-brussel sprouts
-mushrooms (I used baby bellas)
-quinoa
-pomegranate
-olive oil
-water
-salt, pepper, chili flakes, oregano, thyme
Sweet Potato Fries:
-sweet potato
-olive oil
-fresh rosemary
-salt and pepper
GO!
Cut the sprouts in half and toss them in a bowl with olive oil, salt, pepper and chili. Then put them in the oven on a baking sheet for about a half an hour at 400F. Shake the baking sheet about halfway through to move them around so they get nice and crispy and a little browned on the outside.
Oh, I put my sweet potato fries on the same sheet. To make these, slice up a sweet potato, put the fries in a bowl with olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary and then put them on the sheet with the sprouts. Depending on how crispy you want them, you may want to put them on a separate sheet and put them in before the sprouts.
While that ish is baking, make the quinoa according the package it comes in. I used about a half cup. I put some balsamic and a pinch of salt in with the water, too.
Cut up the pomegranate and get it all over your shirt like I did. Then take off your shirt, even though it's already ruined, to prevent further staining. Then do whatever you want when the sweet ellixer drips all over you when you're shirtless.
Lastly, cook up the shrooms. Just sautee them with olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano and thyme.
Put it all on a plate and DEVOUR.
Pomegranates only heightened your tooth's fervor for something sweet? I went out on a limb here. I had an extra avocado lying around. I wanted ice cream but didn't feel like leaving to go get any. What I did have a was sweetened condensed milk, though I'm not really sure why. Oh and a lemon. I bough this mini chopped from Black and Decker on Amazon for ten bucks and it's come in handy for milkshakes and pesto. This time, I put in cut up avocado, about 6oz of sweetened condensed milk and some lemon juice. Put it in there and blend it to a buttery smooth consistency. HERE'S WHERE IT GETS AWESOME>>>when it's done you have two options---do you want some dope creme brulee or supa smooth avocado ice cream?
I made BOTH (not at the same time). ^^^^^Obviously the creme brulee. There's not picture of the ice cream because as soon as it was ready spooned it right out of the container into my face.
CREME BRULEE:
After you've gotten it to a smooth consistency with lemon to taste, put in in the fridge for an hour or so. Then scoop it into a ramekin (or coffee mug if you're a college kid with limited resources) and brulee that ish. I don't have a blowtorch, so i just used the broiler. Just put some sugar on top of the custard and torch/broil so it caramelizes.
ICECREAM: If you've got leftover custard from the creme brûlée, or you'd just rather have ice cream than creme brulee, put the custard into the freezer (once again, college kid, no ice cream maker--obviously). Once it freezes up, take it out, churn it up with a spoon, toss it back in the freezer. Do that a couple times till you have the best avocado ice cream ever.



No comments:
Post a Comment